Kentucky Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
No. 16/14 Kentucky at Vanderbilt
Memorial Gymnasium, Nashville, Tenn.
Feb. 27, 2016 Attendance: 14,326
Final Score: Vanderbilt 74, Kentucky 62
Team Records and Series Notes
• Kentucky is now 21-8 on the season. The Wildcats are 11-5 in Southeastern Conference action.
• Vanderbilt is 18-11 overall, 10-6 in SEC play.
• Kentucky leads the all-time series 141-47, with today’s game ending a three-game UK win streak vs. the Commodores.
• Next for the Wildcats: UK has its final away game of the season Tuesday at 7 p.m. at Florida.
In the First Half
• Kentucky started with the lineup of Tyler Ulis, Isaiah Briscoe, Jamal Murray, Alex Poythress and Marcus Lee for the sixth time this season.
• Murray swished a 3-pointer with 18:03 on the clock, extending UK’s streak of 967 games with at least one triple.
• The teams traded runs at various points in the first half – UK 10-0, VU 9-0, UK 10-1 – and Kentucky went to halftime with a 39-36 lead.
• Murray scored 21 points in the first half, most for any Wildcat in the Coach John Calipari era.
• Kentucky is now 20-5 when owning a halftime advantage.
In the Second Half
• VU got off to a 15-8 run to start the half, taking a 51-47 lead.
• Kentucky reduced the deficit to one point on two occasions but never regained the lead.
• VU led by as many as 12 points, coming at the final score of 74-62.
• Kentucky had 10 assists and five turnovers. UK has had more assists than turnovers in 12 consecutive SEC games for the first time since 1995-96 (14 consecutive SEC games).
• This is the 19th-straight game that a Wildcat has scored at least 20 points, the longest such streak since 1989-90, 21 straight games.
• Kentucky has been without a scholarship player in 21 of 29 games this season. UK has had its full roster for only three games since Jan. 1 – Ole Miss (win), at Kansas (overtime loss), Tennessee (win).
• Calipari has a 656-186 (.779) all-time record, including a 211-46 (.821) mark at Kentucky.
• Freshman Jamal Murray led the Wildcats in both scoring (33 points) and rebounding (9).
• It is his third 30-point game of the season, two points shy of his career high.
• It is his 14th game this season with at least 20 points, his eighth game in a row. It’s the longest streak since Jodie Meeks had nine consecutive 20-point games in 2008-09.
• His 14th 20-point game ties the UK freshman record now shared with Brandon Knight, who had 14 20-point games in 2010-11.
• With six 3-pointers today, he has 91 this season, breaking the UK freshman record of 87 3-pointers by Knight in 2010-11.
• He averaged 26.4 points per game in February, the highest scoring month for a Wildcat since Jodie Meeks averaged 28 points per game in Jan. 2009.
• It is his 27th consecutive double-figure scoring game, the most since Knight had a 28-game double-figure stretch in 2010-11.
• He has made at least one 3-point shot in every game this season, the first player in program history to make a triple in each of his first 29 collegiate games.
• It’s also a school record for most consecutive games with a 3 to begin a season, regardless of year in school.
• It is the second-longest streak in school history, trailing only Tony Delk, who had 32 straight games with a triple.
• He has scored at least eight points in all 29 games this season, extending his school-record for most consecutive games with 8+ points at the start of a career.
• Sophomore Tyler Ulis had 12 points and six assists.
• He extended his school-record streak of 22 consecutive games with at least four assists.
• Junior Marcus Lee had nine points, his most since an 11-point outing at South Carolina, and added six rebounds.
• Freshman Isaiah Briscoe tallied eight points, four rebounds and two assists.