Jamal Murray quite simply knows how to put the ball in the basket as indicated by another prolific-scoring performance. Murray averaged a team-high 25.0 points per game in the two dominating victories this week which included 10 made 3-pointers to be named SEC Freshman of the Week.
To begin the week, Murray poured in 24 points against the Bulldogs, a game in which he connected on 6 of 10 from 3-point range. He also contributed a pair of steals in UK’s most dominating defensive performance of the season that saw the Wildcats limit the visitors to a mere 22.0-percent shooting clip for the game.
Murray followed that performance with a 26-point output on the road at South Carolina in the team’s most complete win of the season. Murray teamed up with Ulis for 53 of the team’s 89 points (59.6 percent) in the win.
UK’s sharpshooter drained four more shots from long range and has now totaled 76 on the season, which ranks in the top 20 nationally and first in the SEC.
· Murray leads all SEC freshmen in scoring during league play averaging 21.3 points per game
· With at least one made 3-point shot in all 25 games this season, Murray tied Darius Miller (2010-11) as the only players to hit at least one 3-pointer in 25 straight games in the John Calipari era
· Combined with his record-breaking 35-point performance against Florida on Feb. 6, Murray has scored 85 points over a three-game span, the most for any freshman in school history
· Murray has posted 20 or more points in four consecutive outings, which pushed his season total to 10 on the year. He is just the second freshman in program history to tally 10 or more 20-point games. Brandon Knight, in 2010-11, owns the record with 14 20-point outputs
· In eight of his last 10 games, Murray has knocked down three or more 3-pointers, including games of eight, six and four over his last three
· Knight owns the single-season record of made 3-pointers for a freshman at 87, and Murray is only 11 made 3-pointers away from matching that mark. Murray needs just 24 more made 3-pointers to become only the third player in program history to hit 100 or more in a season
· Averaging 3.04 made 3-pointers a game, Murray is on pace to break Jodie Meeks’ school record of 117 made 3-pointers in a season. Should UK play in a full 40 games this season and Murray averaged 3.04 made 3-pointers a game, he would finish with 121 made 3-pointers on the year